Wednesday, August 19, 2009

White Albacore Tuna Crudo

While shopping at Whole Foods for a client a couple of weeks ago, I spotted a fish that I had never seen before. Nestled next to the Big Eye and the Yellowfin was something labeled local white albacore tuna. It was the only fish that I have ever seen still in cyrovak in the display case at Whole Foods.

I decided to ask a few questions of the fish monger. I was informed that this time of year the albacore migrate by this area. They are fished younger than most tuna so their mercury levels are lower. They keep them cryovaked because they can only be fished for a few days, but they would like to sell them for more than a few days (without freezing them). I was also told that this particular Tuna can be served raw, seared or cooked through and it's still tasty (a bonus when fish is being left to be cooked by the client).

I bought some for my client and a bit for myself. My lunch that day was so good.

Yesterday while shopping once again for my client I spied that they still had the tuna. I bought a bit and decided to have it for lunch today.

Here's the ingredients:

6 ounces white albacore tuna
juice and zest of 1/2 lime
Hawaiian pink flake sea salt to taste
the good olive oil

I diced the tuna and tossed it with the lime juice and bit of the sea salt. Once I had it on the plate I drizzled it with olive oil and then sprinkled it with the lime zest and a little more salt.

That's it. So easy. I decided to enjoy this with a few tortilla chips (a nice crunch against the texture of the tuna).

Best. Lunch. Ever. Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment