Friday, April 10, 2009

So that's what 55 pounds of brisket looks like...

Last night was the Seder Dinner at my church that I was testing recipes for a few weeks ago (you can find that blog entry here). We ended up with 100 guests at 11 tables.

Here are some pics.

This is 55 pounds of brisket after browning. I would have liked to get it a little more browned, but after I had to put out a little grease fire in one of my pans I got a little nervous (and a lot more careful).


Here it is ready to go in the oven. That's onion, sun-dried tomatoes, beef stock, red wine and crushed tomatoes on top (I forgot the garlic, doh).


Here is 20 pounds of snap peas. Sadly the estimating guide in The Professional Chef was off by quite a bit. We had a lot of snap peas left.


Here's the Strawberry and Cream Lemon Cakes, 11 in all.


And this is me along with one of my volunteers, Ed (doesn't he look fancy).

I had hoped to get a few more pictures, but I got a little behind and I had to work more on plating than picture taking.

All in all I was quite please with how everything turned out. I received raved reviews and several requests for recipes, especially this one:

Savory Corn Bread Pudding

1 package corn bread mix (to make 8x8 pan) - I use Marie Callender's brand
1 can corn
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 eggs
1 cup milk
6 cherry tomatoes, halved

Cook cornbread according to package instructions, using variation for cooking with corn. When cool cut into cubes.

Saute onion and bell pepper, seasoning with salt and pepper.

Stir together the cubed cornbread and the sauteed vegetables. Pour into 8x8 inch pan.

Whisk together the eggs and milk and pour over cornbread mix. Let sit for at least one hour and up to overnight.

Arrange cherry tomatoes over the top and season with salt and pepper.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment