Friday, May 15, 2009

Curried Yam Salad

The weather turned nice again today so my thoughts turned to grilling. I had all the makings for a great cheeseburger, all I needed was a delicious side dish.

I searched my pantry and found garnet yams. First I thought about roasting them, making a sweet potato fry type thing. But that's what I always do, I wanted to try something new. Lately I have been making a shepherd's pie with curried filling and a sweet potato topping that is a tasty combination. I took this as my inspiration.

Here's the ingredients.

4 small garnet yams, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup chive blossoms (these could be left out, but they add a nice color)
1/2 cup chives, chopped (more if you don't use the chive blossoms)
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon curry powder
salt to taste

I started by boiling the potatoes until they were fork tender. When they were done I drained them and immediately added the minced garlic and the vinegar (adding the garlic to the hot potatoes cooks the garlic just a tiny bit, then as the potatoes cool the vinegar gets sucked into the potatoes). I set these aside to cool.

Meanwhile I tossed together the chives and chive blossoms in one bowl, and then in a second bowl I mixed the mayo, sour cream and garlic.

Once the potatoes were at room temperature I stirred in the chives and the curry dressing. Tasted for seasoning and it was ready to go.

I served this alongside my tasty burger along with a simple salad of romaine, radishes, goat cheese and a little ranch dressing.

How was it? Well, I loved, loved it (but then I like curry). The slight spice of the curry was a great combination with the sweetness of the yams. I might add a bit more garlic in the future. The husband wasn't much of a fan. He said he didn't hate it, but he wouldn't ask for it by name (too bad for him because this is going on my permanent rotation for summer salads).

1 comment:

  1. Am I one of the first 5? I'd like the jam please! It all looks amazing! And those LILACS are to die for! I have some cut in my house and they are filling up my office with an incredible scent. Do you know the variety of the purple with white edges, that is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete